AMSTERDAM – German consumers favour O2online.de the most when it comes to the online orientation on a mobile phone and plan. This is the outcome of the latest WUA digital customer experience study which was carried out independently among 600 potential customers (300 desktop & 300 mobile) in the German mobile phone market in January 2017.
Potential customers in the German market were instructed to go online to look for a mobile phone and plan. Which providers do they encounter? Which parties are found? Do they continue their customer journey on a website, or do they give up? Why do they continue, and why do they give up? Which parties get preference? What do potential customers like about the order process, and what do they dislike?
With this study, WUA maps out the entire German mobile phone market from potential customers’ perspectives. O2online.de is the winner of this study with a WPS score of 61. Vodafone.de and Telekom.de get second and third place with 60 points, followed by CHECK24.de in 4th place with 57 points. The number 3 Telekom.de has the highest findability (53%), followed by the number 2 Vodafone.de (51%). The number 1 O2online.de gets third place when it comes to findability (49%). The other providers are found by 35% or less.
The number 2 Vodafone.de and the number 3 Telekom.de were both picked by 10% of respondents as their first choice. The number 1 O2online.de was first choice for 9% of respondents. In fact, the entire top 6 was first choice for between 8% and 10% of respondents. The other providers were put in first place by 3% or lower.
Digital Excellence: Who gets the highest preference?
This study shows once again that Digital Excellence is an absolute necessity. To beat the competition, you have to offer an excellent digital experience in the entire customer journey, and take the number 1 position in preference. Being found and scoring high in Google isn’t enough.
Below are some interesting insights from the study:
- The providers in the top 3 were second choice for 9% to 10% of respondents, and third choice for 9% to 11%. Relatively little effort is required to get preference from these groups of consumers as well.
- There is a gap of 14 percentage points in findability between the top 3 and the other providers (35% or lower).
- The number 3 Telekom.de has a higher findability (53%) than the number 2 Vodafone.de (51%) and the number 1 O2online.de (49%).
- The number 1 O2online.de comes seventh on conversion (23%).
- The number 4 CHECK24.de has a low findability (22%), but by far the highest conversion (43%), followed by the number 8 Verivox.de and the number 6 Congstar.de (both 31%) whose findability is also relatively low (10% and 31% respectively). This shows that the few people who managed to find these providers were positive about them.
Aim of the study
The aim of the study is to precisely identify the digital experience of consumers, when they search for a mobile phone and plan, who they choose to buy from, and especially: why. Using a proven model WUA has worked on over the past eight years, we map out what it is exactly exactly that consumers want, what the best practices are, and what the areas of improvement are. The following websites were assessed by consumers in the study:
Who can benefit from this study?
In the study, WUA’s online experts reveal problem areas and areas for improvement on all topics based on the Digital Sales Scan model. For each provider, conclusions and concrete recommendations are provided in a tailor-made report. At WUA we know that in order to achieve digital excellence, it is extremely important that the following people and departments are involved with / benefit from this study:
- Everyone who is commercially responsible within the organisation: The winner takes it all.
- Management: for the right direction and mind set in the organisation.
- Online marketing professionals: get started immediately with the recommendations for higher conversion.
- Research: Thorough research with validated model is the foundation for digital success.
- Proposition/marketing: In addition to Look & Feel, the Product Offer and Brand topics are key factors in the buying process.
The level of cooperation of the above stakeholders can make or break digital success!