AMSTERDAM – German consumers favour Vodafone.de the most when it comes to online orientation on a fixed line contract. This is the outcome of the latest WUA digital customer experience study which was carried out independently among n=600 potential customers (n=300 on desktop & n=3oo on mobile) in the German market in January 2017.
Potential customers in the German market were instructed to go online to look for a fixed line contract. Which providers do they encounter? Which parties are found? Do they continue their customer journey on a website, or do they give up? Why do they continue, and why do they give up? Which parties get preference? What do potential customers like about the order process, and what do they dislike?
With this study, WUA maps out the entire German fixed line market from potential customers’ perspectives. Vodafone.de is the winner of this study with a WPS score of 75. Telekom.de gets second place with 72 points, followed by 1und1.de in 3rd place with 65 points. Vodafone.de has the highest findability (80%), followed by Telekom.de (76%). The other providers were found by 55% or less.
The number 1 Vodafone.de and the number 2 Telekom.de were both picked by 20% of respondents as their first choice. The number 3 1und1.de was first choice for 16% of respondents. The other providers were put in first place by 9% or lower.
Digital Excellence: Who gets the highest preference?
This study shows once again that Digital Excellence is an absolute necessity. To beat the competition, you have to offer an excellent digital experience in the entire customer journey, and take the number 1 position in preference. Being found and scoring high in Google isn’t enough.
Below are some interesting insights from the study:
- The number 1 Vodafone.de was second choice for 24% of respondents and third choice for 17%. Relatively little effort is required to get preference from these groups of consumers as well.
- There is a large gap of 21 percentage points in findability between the number 2 Telekom.de (76%) and the other providers (55% or lower). Then there is another large gap of 23 percentage points between the number 4 O2online.de (50%) and the other providers (27% or lower).
- The number 5 CHECK24.de has a lower findability (19%) than the number 6 Verivox.de (27%). CHECK24.de has by far the highest conversion (45%) however, followed by the number 3 1und1.de (28%) and the number 2 Telekom.de (26%). CHECK24.de has a relatively low findability, which shows that the few people who managed to find this provider were positive about it.
- The number 1 Vodafone.de has the highest findability (80%) but comes fourth on conversion (25%).
- The number 1 Vodafone.nl gets the highest scores on Look & Feel (72) and, together with the number 7 Unitymedia.de, on Brand (both 74). The number 5 CHECK24.de scores highest on Product Offer here (76).
Aim of this study
The aim of the study is to precisely identify the digital experience of consumers, when they search for a fixed line contract, who they choose to buy from, and especially: why. Using a proven model WUA has worked on over the past eight years, we map out what it is exactly exactly that consumers want, what the best practices are, and what the areas of improvement are. The following websites were assessed by consumers in the study:
Who can benefit from this study?
In the study, WUA’s online experts reveal problem areas and areas for improvement on all topics based on the Digital Sales Scan model. For each provider, conclusions and concrete recommendations are provided in a tailor-made report. At WUA we know that in order to achieve digital excellence, it is extremely important that the following people and departments are involved with / benefit from this study:
- Everyone who is commercially responsible within the organisation: The winner takes it all.
- Management: for the right direction and mind set in the organisation.
- Online marketing professionals: get started immediately with the recommendations for higher conversion.
- Research: Thorough research with validated model is the foundation for digital success.
- Proposition/marketing: In addition to Look & Feel, the Product Offer and Brand topics are key factors in the buying process.
The level of cooperation of the above stakeholders can make or break digital success!