AMSTERDAM – 22. Juni 2016. German consumers favor Vodafone.de the most when it comes to online orientation on a SIM only plan. This is the outcome of the latest WUA digital customer experience study which was carried out independently among 300 potential customers in the German telecom market in October 2016.
Potential customers in the German market were instructed to go online to look for a SIM only plan. Which providers do they encounter? Which parties are found? Do they continue their customer journey on a website, or do they give up? Why do they continue, and why do they give up? Which parties get preference? What do potential customers like about the ordering process, and what do they dislike?
With this study, WUA maps out the entire German telecom market on desktop/laptop from potential customers’ perspectives. In this study, based on fieldwork conducted in October 2016, Vodafone.de is the winner with a score of 66 points, followed by Telekom.de (63). CHECK24.de and O2online.de came third and fourth with scores of 61 and 60 points respectively. Vodafone has a high findability of 55%, the difference with Telekom.de (51%) is 4 percentage points. O2online.de follows with a findability of 45%.
“The sim only market (Handytarif ohne Handy) in Germany has rapidly changed in the last couple of years. In the past only a few smaller players were active. Nowadays competition is getting more and more intense: low cost providers, comparison websites and mobile operators are actively competing each other in the digital arena. An excellent digital customer experience is essential to survive, especially because of the fact that 85% of customers is orienting online.”
Ivo Bakhuys, CCO & Head of Industry Telecom at WUA
Digital Excellence: Who gets the highest preference?
This study once again shows that Digital Excellence is an absolute necessity. To beat the competition as a company, you have to offer an excellent digital experience in the entire customer journey, and take the number one position in preference. Being found and scoring high in Google, just isn’t enough. Below are some interesting insights from the study:
- Vodafone manages to secure the highest preference: 15% of potential customers put Vodafone in first place, 12% in second place, and 10% in third place.
- Vodafone.de scores highest on findability (55%), followed by Telekom.de (51%) and O2online.de (45%).
- The number 4 in this study, O2online.de has a much higher findability (45%) than the number 3 CHECK24.de (31%), but gets lower scores on all other themes and has a lower conversion (22% versus 31%).
- The number 6 in this study, ALDITALK.de scores by far the highest on conversion (54%) but is only found by 8% of respondents. This shows that the few people who do manage to find ALDITALK.de are very satisfied with their experience with this provider. CHECK24.de follows with a conversion of 31%, followed by Klarmobil.de (29%) and Verivox.de and Vodafone.de (both 27%).
- ALDITALK.de scores highest on all topics, in both First Impression phase and in Further Look. The biggest differences in points are related to Product Offer (First Impression as well as Further Look).
- Vodafone.de doesn’t score highest on any of the themes, but the high findability and decent conversion enable Vodafone to secure first place in this WUA customer experience study.
For each provider found in this study, WUA has asked why this provider was given second or third place on preference, instead of first place. These insights can be found in the full report, including a comprehensive funnel analysis of each provider. For many WUA customers, this is one of the most important sources for setting priorities to improve conversion.
The aim of the study is to precisely identify the digital experience of consumers when they search for a SIM only plan, who they choose to buy from, and especially: why. Using a proven model WUA has worked on over the past eight years, we map out what it is exactly exactly that consumers want, what the best practices are, and what the areas of improvement are.
Who can benefit from this study?
In the study, WUA’s online experts reveal problem areas and areas for improvement on all topics based on the Digital Sales Scan model. For each provider, conclusions and concrete recommendations are provided in a tailor-made report. At WUA we know that in order to achieve digital excellence, it is extremely important that the following people and departments are involved with / benefit from this study:
- Everyone who is commercially responsible within the organisation: The winner takes it all.
- Management: for the right direction and mind set in the organisation.
- Online marketing professionals: get started immediately with the recommendations for higher conversion.
- Research: Thorough research with validated model is the foundation for digital success.
- Proposition/marketing: In addition to Look&Feel, the topics Product Offer and Brand are key factors in the buying process.
The level of cooperation of the above stakeholders can make or break digital success!
The complete report Digital Sales Scan SIM only (DE) – October 2016 is available, including all scores, custom qualitative analysis, best practices, benchmark, and concrete recommendations to immediately improve your website and increase your conversion.