Last month, WUA evaluated the consumer experience of 200 consumers who were looking for a place to buy groceries online. Albert Heijn was declared best with a Web Performance Score of 90: no less than 98% of our participants were able to find Albert Heijn, and Albert Heijn’s conversion is more than 4 times higher than that of their most important competitor Jumbo.com. Albert Heijn scores better than their competitors in almost all areas of our Web Performance Model.
Web Performance ScoreOnderzoek: Online BoodschappenMeting: April 2018Land: Nederland
- 1 AH.nl 90
- 2 Jumbo.com 74
- 3 Plus.nl 62
- 4 Coop.nl 60
- 5 Picnic.nl 51
- 6 Lidl.nl 47
- Aan de basis van elke Web Performance Scan® ligt het Web Performance Model. Met behulp van dit model worden de details van het oriëntatieproces in kaart gebracht. Uiteindelijk wordt de prestatie van een website weergegeven in één overall score: de Web Performance Score.
Space for growth at supermarket Jumbo.com
Our study concluded that Jumbo.com has a good Web Performance Score (74), but in comparison to their competitor Albert Heijn there’s still work to be done. The company scores better in “In-depth” than Albert Heijn does on theme of “Offer”. 83% of consumers managed to find Jumbo, but only 11% of them replied that they would order their groceries there.
The other supermarkets battle for delivery
There are several supermarkets that want to distinguish themselves from the delivery services of the bigger competitors. For example, Plus.nl offers a service that delivers groceries to their customers’ kitchens within 2 hours. And the new Picnic.nl initiative, which claims to be able to deliver your food and drinks at the cheapest price, is rapidly expanding to new cities. Supermarket Coop.nl scored relatively well. For the other parties, there is much more work to be done; it’s time to take action.
5 insights from this study
- The conversion percentage of AH.nl is more than 4 times higher than that of their main competitor Jumbo.com.
- 98% of consumers in our study found AH.nl.
- The online grocery market is divided among the supermarkets. Picnic.nl is the only non-supermarket in our study that consumers managed to find enough times.
- AH.nl makes the strongest first impression, but according to the consumers, it can make some gains with regard to Jumbo in the area of ”pricing”.
- Ultimately, AH.nl gains ‘Preference’ almost 4 times more often than Jumbo.com.
Goal and relevance of this research
The goal of this research is to exactly map the digital experience of potential customers who are looking for a place to buy online groceries. It is important to capture the consumers’ choices and their reason why choosing a specific company. WUA worked on a proven model for the last 10 years, which shows as precisely as possible what customers want, whatever are the best practices and the obstacles per provider. A custom-made rapport is available within two weeks, including a get-to-work workshop on location and an accompanying presentation.