In May 2018, WUA conducted an extensive online experience benchmark study on Dutch hotel finder websites. 200 consumers searched online for a hotel stay via smartphone. With a Web Performance Score (WPS) of 75, Booking.com is the winner of this study. Trivago.nl is a close runner-up, and HotelSpecials.nl completes the top three.
Web Performance ScoreOnderzoek: Hotelovernachting NLMeting: Mei 2018Land: Nederland
- 1 Booking.com 75
- 2 trivago.nl 75
- 3 HotelSpecials.nl 61
- 4 Expedia.nl 55
- 5 Hotels.nl 54
- 6 Weekendjeweg.nl 54
- 7 Hotels.com 49
- Aan de basis van elke Web Performance Scan® ligt het Web Performance Model. Met behulp van dit model worden de details van het oriëntatieproces in kaart gebracht. Uiteindelijk wordt de prestatie van een website weergegeven in één overall score: de Web Performance Score.
Booking.com and Trivago dominate the market
Together, these two hotel finder websites are preferred by exactly half of all consumers in this study. The preference of the other half is divided among the other parties.
Interesting fact: in a study conducted a year earlier, the outcomes of Booking and Trivago were reversed, with Trivago.nl scoring slightly higher than Booking.com. The important difference here is that Booking.com is now visited more often in the orientation process while Trivago.nl is less often preferred.
Small hotel finders are visited more often in the orientation process
Apart from this, the ranking is exactly the same as last year. The difference with a year ago being that the “small” hotel finder websites are now visited more often in the orientation process. The websites Hotels.nl and Weekendjeweg.nl are also more often preferred by consumers compared to last year. With regard to customer experience, these two hotel finders also achieved good scores throughout the entire customer journey.
Visitors have faith in Booking.com
Booking.com scores high on brand experience. Visitors trust this hotel finder, expect good service from it, and believe that Booking.com can deliver on what they promise.
5 insights from this study
- Booking.com and trivago.nl dominate the market. Together, these two hotel finder websites are preferred by exactly half of all orienteers in this study.
- With the exception of the winner and first runner-up, the ranking is exactly the same as last year. The difference with a year ago being that the “small” hotel finder websites are now visited more often in the orientation process.
- Hotel finder websites Hotels.nl and Weekendjeweg.nl are now also preferred more often than last year. These two hotel finders also achieved good scores throughout the customer journey with regard to customer experience.
Booking.com scores high on brand experience. Visitors have confidence in this hotel finder, expect good service from it, and believe that Booking.com can deliver on what they promise.
Booking.com’s closing process also stands head and shoulders above the rest of the field.
Goal and relevance of this research
The goal of this research is to exactly map the digital experience of potential customers who are who are searching for a hotel stay in the Netherlands online. It is important to capture the consumers’ choices and their reason why choosing a specific company. WUA worked on a proven model for the last 10 years, which shows as precisely as possible what customers want, whatever are the best practices and the obstacles per provider. A custom-made rapport is available within two weeks, including a get-to-work workshop on location and an accompanying presentation.
Who will benefit from this study?
With this study, our WUA online experts uncover areas of concern and aspects to improve on all themes according to the validated Web Performance Model. We deliver tailor-made conclusions and recommendations for each provider. At WUA, we have learned that, in order to achieve digital excellence, it is vital that the following people and departments are involved in / benefit from this study:
- Everyone who is commercially responsible: the winner takes all;
- Management: to make sure the entire organization is headed in the right direction and mindset;
- The ones who are digitally responsible: to help your team with the best insights, direction, and energy;
- Online marketers: who can start using our recommendations for higher conversion right away;
- Research: because thorough research with a validated model is the foundation of digital success;
- Proposition/marketing: because, in addition to Look & Feel, the theme Supply and Brand is an essential part of the acquisition process.
The level of cooperation between these stakeholders can make or break digital success!