Reading Time: 5 minutes

In July 2018, WUA once again studied the market for taking out a funeral insurance policy, on smartphone. This benchmark study (n=200) offers insight into the experiences consumers have during the entire orientation process, which company they finally prefer, and most importantly: why?

DELA.nl is favorite for consumers orienting themselves on a funeral insurance policy on smartphone. With a Web Performance Score of 83, they manage to dethrone Monuta. Monuta, however, is still closely behind in second place, with a score of 82. Yarden completes the top-3 with 81 points.

  • Web Performance Score
    Onderzoek Uitvaartverzekering
    Meting: Juli 2018
    Land: Nederland
  • Score
  • 1 DELA.nl 83
  • 2 Monuta.nl 82
  • 3 Yarden.nl 81
  • 4 Klaverblad.nl 58
  • 5 Ardanta.nl 51
  • 6 Nuvema.nl 49
  • Bekijk volledige lijst

Insights Update Funeral Insurance

Get the latest free high level results in the Funeral Insurance Insight Update July 2018
Download Now

Large gap between top-3 and smaller providers

For the past few years, we’ve seen in this study that three large players are dominant in the online funeral insurance market. There’s a large gap between the top-3 and the other providers.

Remarkably, however, Ardanta’s website manages to get the second-best conversion score – better than that of the larger parties. In customer experience, too, ‘small player’ Ardanta takes the lead along with Monuta. Ardanta.nl performs best in Offer in the First Impression phase. People feel the offer is clear, and they don’t expect hidden surprises.

On the Brand theme, Monuta.nl scores highest on all questions, in both First Impression and In Depth. Consumers trust the company, have high service expectations, and are pleased with the contact options.

Klaverblad.nl conversion drops by half compared to previous study (January 2018)

The biggest changes in conversion compared to the previous study can be seen at Ardanta.nl and Klaverblad.nl. At Klaverblad.nl, conversion drops by half, whereas the conversion at Ardanta.nl more than doubles. It does need to be mentioned, however, that this study was conducted exclusively on smartphone, while the previous study was done on both smartphone and desktop.

Consumer prefers cash payment over service coverage

In the end, 60% of consumers choose an insurance policy that pays the chosen value, to be spent as one wishes. The remaining 40% opt for a number of services, in which the next of kin does not receive any payment.

You have just chosen your preferred insurance policy. How does the insurer pay in case of death?verlijden?

60%: It pays a monetary amount. This money may be spent as wished. 40%: A number of services are covered (e.g. a coffin, flowers, funeral, cake, cremation). My next of kin will not receive any money.

Over 30% of consumers prefers to receive their insurance policy in writing via mail rather than digitally

We asked consumers in which way they’d prefer to receive their insurance policy details after taking out their insurance. No less than 33% of consumers prefers to receive the information in writing via (snail) mail. The largest group (43%) prefers to receive their information via email, and the remaining 23% chooses to receive their information digitally, on a secured website.

Say you’ve just taken out a funeral insurance policy. How would you prefer to receive your policy information?

– Digitally, via email – In writing (regular mail) – Digitally, on a secured website – I would prefer to receive the information in a different way

Insights for the funeral insurance market

  • DELA.nl wins the study, after Monuta.nl (January 2018) and Yarden.nl (June 2017). One in three consumers prefers DELA.nl.

  • Yarden.nl is found most often: 92% visits this website when orienting on a funeral insurance policy. The difference with Monuta and Dela, however, is only 1%.

  • In customer experience, Monuta.nl and Ardanta.nl take the lead. On Brand, Monuta.nl scores highest on all questions, in both First Impression and In Depth. Consumers trust the company, have high service expectations, and are pleased with the contact options. Ardanta.nl is best in Offer in First Impression. People feel the offer is clear, and expect no hidden surprises.

  • In conversion, the biggest changes compared with the previous study can be found in Ardanta.nl and Klaverblad.nl. Conversion drops by half for Klaverblad.nl, while Ardanta.nl gains no less than 17 percentage points.

  • 60% of consumers choose an insurance policy that pays the chosen value, to be spent as one wishes. The remaining 40% opt for a number of services, in which the next of kin does not receive any payment.

Insights Update Funeral Insurance

Get the latest free high level results in the Funeral Insurance Insight Update July 2018
Download Now

Goal & Relevance of this study

The goal of this study is to map the digital experience of customers orienting themselves on a funeral insurance policy, which insurer they choose, and most importantly, why. Using a proven model WUA has been working on for the past 10 years, we indicate with precision exactly what customers want, what the best practices are, and what issues insurers may have. A custom-made report is available within two weeks, including an action workshop on location and presentation.

WUA Funeral Insurance Insights Update July 2018

Download the brand-new edition of the WUA Funeral Insurance Insights Update July 2018 (Dutch)for free now.. In this update, we talk about the current, July 2018, study, and we offer a preview of the numbers in the Funeral Insurance market. Which insurers score best on the theme scores from the WUA Digital Sales Model, and what can you, as professional in the Funeral Insurance market, learn from it?