May 2018, WUA asked 400 respondents to search for home energy contracts online. With the help of our Web Performance Model, we measured their online customer experience, from Findability to Preference and the ordering process. For the third time in a row, Essent scores highest this study.
Web Performance Score
Onderzoek: Energie ConsumentMeting: Mei 2018Land: Nederland
- Totaal Desktop Mobiel
- 1 Essent.nl 74 74 74
- 2 Nuon.nl 71 73 68
- 3 Eneco.nl 69 69 70
- 4 Energiedirect.nl 61 62 60
- 5 Greenchoice.nl 58 58 57
- 6 Oxxio.nl 55 58 51
- 7 Independer.nl 54 - 54
- 8 Gaslicht.com 53 54 52
- 9 ENGIE-Energie.nl 50 51 49
- 10 NLE.nl 46 46 -
- Aan de basis van elke Web Performance Scan® ligt het Web Performance Model. Met behulp van dit model worden de details van het oriëntatieproces in kaart gebracht. Uiteindelijk wordt de prestatie van een website weergegeven in één overall score: de Web Performance Score.
- Hoogste totaalscore
- Hoogste score op device
You can read more results from this study in our Energy Supplier Insights Update May 2018.
Essent has a Web Performance Score of 74. This is two points higher than in November 2017. Almost 72% of respondents on both desktop and smartphone manage to find this energy supplier, meaning that Essent scores highest in Findability. First runner-up Nuon scores three points less than Essent (71). Eneco launched a new website this spring and now completes the Top 3 with a score of 69.
7 insights from this study
- The top 3 on Web Performance Score and Findability is once again comprised of Essent, Nuon, and Eneco.
Greenchoice continues to appeal strongly with their website. On all experience themes, the website is among the best in their industry.
- Of the top 5, Greenchoice also has the most persuading website (conversion). The company manages to convince 34% of its visitors.
- Energiedirect.nl (owned by Essent) once again takes 4th place, hereby surpassing Greenchoice.
- In terms of economics, Eneco has the most profitable website among the Top 3. Although the respondents in our study had more difficulty finding Eneco compared to Nuon and Essent, Eneco did have a higher visiter conversion rate. Thus earning more per visitor than their competitors. Eneco managed to convince 30% of their visitors, compared to 23% for Essent. Nuon has the least persuading website, only convincing 17% of their visitors.
- Nuon appears to have some difficulty in convincing their visitors, especially on smartphone. When visitors want more information about the Offer, Nuon scores relatively low (In-depth experience).
- Oxxio’s mobile website could use some improvement, convincing only 7% of their visitors.
Goal and relevance of this research
The goal of this research is to exactly map the digital experience of potential customers who are searching for home energy suppliers online. It is important to capture the consumers’ choices and their reason why choosing a specific company. WUA worked on a proven model for the last 10 years, which shows as precisely as possible what customers want, whatever are the best practices and the obstacles per provider. A custom-made rapport is available within two weeks, including a get-to-work workshop on location and an accompanying presentation.