In May 2018, WUA conducted an online study on sim only subscriptions. We asked 400 consumers (200 on desktop, 200 on smartphone) to search for sim only providers online. For the first time since we’ve conducted these studies, Simpel.nl won first place. Simpel.nl distinguishes itself from major brands such as KPN.nl and Vodafone.nl in terms of price/quality ratio. This makes them the first ‘independent’ provider to lead the list.
- Whereas Vodafone.nl narrowly managed to stay ahead of the competition in earlier measurements, Simpel.nl now clearly wins with a Web Performance Score of 66.
- With a score of 64 (and the highest score on smartphone), Vodafone manages to secure 2nd place. KPN ends 3rd with 61 points. These two major players particularly know how to distinguish themselves on the base of customer trust.
- Telfort and T-Mobile fall just outside our Top 3 with 60 and 61 points, but as these differences are incredibly small, they still play an important role in this study.
Web Performance ScoreOnderzoek: Sim OnlyMeting: April 2018Land: Nederland
- Totaal Desktop Mobiel
- 1 Simpel.nl 66 68 62
- 2 Vodafone.nl 64 62 66
- 3 KPN.com 61 61 62
- 4 Telfort.nl 61 59 62
- 5 T-Mobile.nl 60 59 61
- 6 Tele2.nl 59 59 59
- 7 Ben.nl 55 54 55
- 8 hollandsnieuwe.nl 55 55 54
- 9 Simyo.nl 54 53 55
- 10 SimOnly.nl 53 52 53
- 11 Youfone.nl 52 54 50
- 12 Mobiel.nl 51 51 -
- 13 Belsimpel.nl 51 48 53
- Aan de basis van elke Web Performance Scan® ligt het Web Performance Model. Met behulp van dit model worden de details van het oriëntatieproces in kaart gebracht. Uiteindelijk wordt de prestatie van een website weergegeven in één overall score: de Web Performance Score.
- Hoogste totaalscore
- Hoogste score op device
Simple.nl winner Sim-Only trend
As a result of telephone durability, credit rating, and a wider choice of providers, sim only is becoming increasingly popular among consumers, and Simpel manages to conquer a large part of the market. Compared to our previous study, Simpel.nl has risen from 6th to 1st place. Although more consumers manage to find Vodafone.nl during our online orientation process, their preference for Simpel.nl is considerably higher (19% for Simpel.nl compared to 11% for Vodafone). Simpel.nl particularly manages to convince consumers on the theme of Offer.
KPN gives best First Impression
KPN.nl excels in First Impression, scoring highest on all themes in this phase. Their website’s external characteristics and brand elements score incredibly well. All combined, KPN’s high scores on Look & Feel, Offer, and Brand ensure that 98% of consumers stay on their website. There’s still room for improvement in KPN’s In-depth phase, in which the company scores relatively low. KPN drops one place in ranking compared to our list from July 2017.
Small providers score well in In-depth experience
It’s interesting to see that the ‘smaller’ providers score well in In-depth experience. Youfone.nl, hollandsnieuwe.nl, Mobiel.nl, Ben.nl, and Simpel.nl all manage to draw visitors in with a good price/quality ratio and with the help they provide to visitors in choosing the offer that best suits their needs.
More valuable insights from this study
- Simpel.nl has risen from 6th to 1st place.
Almost 1 in 5 consumers choose Simpel.nl as their favorite provider, which is almost twice as much as KPN.nl and Vodafone.nl.
- KPN scores best on all themes in First Impression.
- In terms of In-depth experience, the smaller providers are able to convince consumers well.
- Vodafone.nl has the best score on a smartphone with a Web Performance Score of 66.
Goal and relevance of this research
The goal of this research is to exactly map the digital experience of potential customers who are searching for a sim only provider online. It is important to capture the consumers’ choices and their reason why choosing a specific company. WUA worked on a proven model for the last 10 years, which shows as precisely as possible what customers want, whatever are the best practices and the obstacles per provider. A custom-made rapport is available within two weeks, including a get-to-work workshop on location and an accompanying presentation.